25 November 2009

Pecan Tartlettes



My mom always makes pecan pie for Thanksgiving, and it's one of my favorite desserts.  Thanksgiving is the only time of year that I eat pecan pie, so I look forward to it in the weeks leading up to the holiday.  This year, Andrew and I will be celebrating here in Ohio with his family.  We're looking forward to a quiet holiday with great food and some of our favorite people.

I am in charge of the desserts, and in order to capture my love for pecan pie, I decided one of my offerings would be Pecan Tartlettes.  (More to come on the other desserts!)  I know Andrew's family likes pecan pie, but it's not their favorite, so they'd be unlikely to take a large slice of pie.  These mini tarts let people have a bite or two of pecan pie flavor without committing to a whole slice.  The best part is, if there are any leftovers, I can easily freeze them for future desserts.

I used a recipe I found on Cooks.com for Pecan Tartlettes.  I followed the recipe exactly, adding about 1/2 cup of pecans, but ended up having about a cup of filling leftover.  Not sure how that worked out, but I saved the extra pecan filling to add to vanilla ice cream next time I make it.

Once I made the dough, I split it into 24 pieces per the recipe.  Press the balls of dough into a mini muffin tin.



In order to make these blobs of dough into pretty little tart shells, I had to get resourceful.



I used my plastic ice cream scoop to form the tarts.  Pressing the scoop against the sides helped even out the sides of the shells.




I filled the shells with the pecan mixture, being careful not to get any of the sticky syrup on the muffin tin.



These pecan tartlettes are adorable AND delicious.  The shells are flaky and not too sweet, a nice contrast to the sugary pecan filling.  What a great addition to our Thanksgiving dessert table!


No comments: