13 June 2010

Tabbouleh



I've made a lot of new recipes lately, but finding time to blog has been difficult. There are so many delicious summer dishes I want to share with you!

Today, I'll pass on a fantastic recipe for tabbouleh. Tabbouleh is a Lebanese salad made with parsley and bulgur wheat. It bursts with simple, fresh flavors which change as the ingredients meld together. You can serve it as a condiment for simply grilled meats (try it on lamb kabobs - yum!), stuffed into pitas, or as a side dish.

If you are a backyard herb gardener, you'll love this use for all that beautiful flat-leaf parsley you're probably seeing now. Since I can't currently have an herb garden, I bought my parsley at West Side Market. The lovely lady at Judy's Oasis is always working when I stop by. She has sold me the most delicious treats, from kibbee to the irresistible feta-black olive dip, and when I asked for help making my own tabbouleh, she was happy to assist me. Her most important piece of advice: make sure the parsley is washed very well and that you dry it completely before chopping it and mixing the salad.


Tabbouleh
adapted from epicurious

3 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 c. bulgur wheat
1 c. boiling water
3 bunches fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 small tomato, seeds removed, diced
4 green onions, sliced thinly
2 tbsp. lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste

Place bulgur wheat in a small heat-proof bowl. Pour boiling water over the wheat. Stir in 1 tbsp. of olive oil and cover bowl with a lid or piece of plastic wrap. Let stand for 15 minutes, then stir with a fork to fluff and separate. Allow to cool.



In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir with a large fork, taste for seasoning. You may wish to add more oil, lemon juice, salt, or pepper. I found that my tabbouleh required a bit more olive oil and a lot more salt.

Enjoy this delicious summery dish with the fresh parsley and tomatoes of the season!


No comments: