19 July 2008

Keepsake Brownies

For the wedding shower that Andrew's family hosted for me here in Ohio, there was a kitchen theme, and each guest was asked to bring recipes for me. My grandmother gave me this recipe for Keepsake Brownies. She cut it out of Parade magazine over forty years ago, and it's her favorite brownie recipe to this day. I love my Nonnie, and I surely trust her judgment when it comes to dessert!

I was craving chocolate this afternoon, and when I got home from work at 9:30 tonight, I decided to make these brownies.


Keepsake Brownies

4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
1 c. unsalted butter or margarine
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. If you are lazy like me, melt it in the microwave one minute at a time, stirring between each minute. When fully melted, add sugar, eggs, and vanilla. I was concerned about the heat from the chocolate/butter mixture scrambling the eggs, so I tempered them by mixing a bit of the melted chocolate into the eggs to increase their temperature before adding all the eggs to the sugar/chocolate/butter bowl.

Sift together the flour and the salt. Trust me, you want to sift the flour. Sifting gets rid of all the lumps and helps you smoothly combine all the ingredients. Stir the flour into the chocolate in batches until completely combined.

Here is what your batter should look like:




Pour brownie mix into a square pan - Nonnie's recipe says 9x9, but I have an 8x8, so that's what I used. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until mostly cooked through. I say mostly because I like to leave brownies a bit undercooked so they are super moist.

Can't wait to have a brownie for breakfast tomorrow morning!

No comments: