09 August 2008

Sangria! Part II

I created my own sangria recipe this weekend, and it is (in my opinion) much easier than the previous recipe I posted. It could be made with red or white wine, though we used red both times we made it. A fruity Cabernet worked well in this recipe - if you wanted a white sangria, I would recommend a sweet Riesling or a fruity Pinot Grigio.



1 bottle red or white wine
1/2 c. brandy
1 c. simple syrup
1 green apple, cut into chunks
1 nectarine, cut into chunks
1 pint blackberries

To make simple syrup, combine 1/2 cup each of plain white granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. When sugar is completely dissolved, remove pan from heat.

In a pitcher, combine wine, brandy, and simple syrup. Add 12-16 cubes of ice, stir. I like to float the fruit in the individual glasses, but you can add it straight to the pitcher if you prefer.


This recipe was so easy and tasted so good! The simple syrup makes a big difference, so don't skip that step. All the spiciness of the brandy is highlighted by the sweet acidity of the wine and the delicious crunch of the fruit.

No comments: