08 December 2009

Chicken with Lemony Egg Noodles and Peas



 I have become a fan of MSN's food website - it's called "Delish.com", and there are tons of recipes that are easy to search and easy to make.  Each recipe includes nutritional information, reviews, and when available, other versions of the dish.

The first recipe I made from Delish was this Chicken with Lemony Egg Noodles and Peas.  Now, I'm not a huge fan of lemon in savory dishes.  I tend to think it outshines chicken, and I love the flavor of seafood so much that I hate to mask it with lemon.  I definitely scaled back the lemon in this dish, but you could follow the original recipe if you are a fan of lemony flavors.

I needed to feed five people with this recipe, and it didn't indicate how many servings I'd get, so I doubled the original.  Below you'll see the recipe exactly as I made it.  For the record, I'd say my version could have fed 8 people, because I had TONS of leftovers.  Luckily, this creamy dish is delicious, so I was happy to eat it leftover!


Chicken with Lemony Egg Noodles and Peas
adapted from Delish.com


4 chicken legs
2 lemons
16 oz. extra-wide egg noodles
8 oz. sugar snap peas
2 c. shredded carrots
2 c. frozen peas
2 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. skim milk
1 c. shredded cheese (I used 3/4 mozzarella and 1/4 parmesan)

The original recipe calls for a leftover rotisserie chicken, but I had chicken legs in the freezer, so I opted to use those instead.  I cooked them in the crockpot with a squeeze of lemon juice and the halves of the lemons.  When I put the pasta together, I skipped the zest that the original recipe calls for.




Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the slow cooker and allow to cool slightly.  Use two forks to shred the meat from the bone, set aside.

From here on out, this is pretty simple.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Salt the water, then add the egg noodles.  Cook as instructed on the package.  With one minute left to go, add the snap peas to the water.

Put the carrots and frozen peas in a colander.  Drain the noodles and snap peas over these vegetables.  The heat from the boiling water will heat the carrots and peas.



Return the noodle pot to the stove.

While the noodles and veggies drain, combine broth, milk, salt, and pepper in the pot over high heat.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium.  Stir in cheese and cream until cheese is completely melted.



 Add shredded chicken, noodles, and vegetables to the pot.  Stir thoroughly to combine, serve while hot.




1 comment:

abocefen-tamf said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.