17 March 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Hope your St. Patrick's Day was fantastic! I haven't been able to post in a while due to some changes in my personal life, but I thought this would be a great meal to share with you.

I love the Americanized version of St. Paddy's Day fare - corned beef, boiled potatoes, carrots, and cabbage. Tonight, I put together a delicious dinner that didn't require much effort at all.



I cooked the corned beef last night, following the directions on the package. The meat came with a spice packet, which I used when I boiled it. I thought it imparted nice flavor and saved me some time and effort. My mom and I wrapped it in foil and stored it in the fridge overnight. We sliced it while it was cold and then heated up the slices. I made all the side dishes tonight, and that was definitely the way to do it.


Parsley Dill Potatoes

3 large baking potatoes, peeled
2 tsp. butter
1 tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. dill seeds
salt & pepper to taste

Halve potatoes lengthwise, then halve each piece lengthwise again. Chop the potatoes into chunks - I got 5-6 pieces from each quarter. Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook potatoes until fork tender. Strain potatoes and move to a bowl. Toss with butter, parsley, dill, salt, and pepper.


For the buttery carrots, I boiled six handfuls of carrots in an inch of water. I strained them, then added a pat of butter and a little salt. I cored a head of cabbage, then chopped it into ten pieces. I placed them in a steamer basket and boiled water under it for steamed cabbage. Lastly, I made sauteed onions by slicing onions into 0.5" wide half moons and sauteeing in cooking spray.

My mom opted for a St. Patrick's Day sandwich - American cheese, corned beef, sauteed onions, and steamed cabbage piled high on wheat bread. Yum!




It's a lucky day, so I'm reflecting on my good fortune, and I feel so lucky for all I have. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: