01 March 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Shapes



After I adopted a soldier, I decided I wanted to send him treats in the mail. I wanted to send something that would stand up to shipping and last as long as possible so they would (hopefully) still be fresh when they got there. I thought chocolate chip cookies would be a nice homemade treat.

I haven't done much experimenting with chocolate chip cookie recipes. I typically use the Nestle recipe - with one variation.




I add one box of instant vanilla pudding to the dry ingredients before I mix the cookie dough. This makes the cookies stay soft for a longer period of time. They puff up nicely and stay puffed.



My pan was 12" x 17" - too large for one batch of cookies. I did some calculations based on the information on the bag of chocolate chips, and decided multiplying the recipe by 7/3 would be the right amount.



It worked out well. Once my giant batch of cookies was mixed, I dumped it all out onto the pan.



I spread the cookie dough out with a spatula as evenly as possible and baked according to the recipe directions.


To cut the cookies into shapes, I used a heart-shaped cookie cutter. I sent the cookies out the week before Valentine's Day, hoping they would get there in time.



In order to cut them out, I pressed the cookie cutter down, then slid a spatula underneath. I kept the cutter in place and lifted the whole thing to a rack to cool.


The cookies were large - my increased recipe made about 12 hearts. I cut up the "crusts" and Andrew and I ate them for three days!


I wrapped the cookies individually in plastic wrap. The ones that were shipped, I also wrapped in bubble wrap so they wouldn't get crushed. You could use this method for any shape - the cookies are scrumptious and festive.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

How cute! Also such a kind thing to do =)

Donna-FFW said...

How lucky that soldier will be. How nice of you! The cookies look great!

Anonymous said...

Man, your blog makes me hungry. We should start an Adopt-a-Cookie Fiend program so you can send some to me!