21 March 2009

Underground Supper Clubs & Some Gossip

I'll start with the gossip. It's been brought to my attention that my comment about "changes in my personal life" may have been misleading. These are good changes, people! I got a new job and have been extremely busy with that. Training has taken me 600 miles away from my husband, so we are adjusting to the change. I'm sorry I haven't been blogging as much, but it's tough when you don't have your own kitchen to cook in or your husband's camera to pawn! I just wanted to clear that up.

One more housekeeping note: with this post, I will have 35 posts in the year 2009. This means that in the month of March, I've already surpassed all of my posting from 2008. So, thanks for reading my blog and giving me reasons to continue posting my food adventures!




As for the underground supper clubs, I read a great article on CNN about this new trend, and I find it fascinating. Basically, well-known chefs host supper parties at their home or another location. The events are secretive - diners sign up on a website, like Entre - so elusive, you need a password to view the website. A better site to look at to get a feel for the concept is Guerilla Cuisine, located in Charleston. Once diners have signed up, they receive an email that tells them where to go and when, sometimes with a menu. When they show up for dinner, they are served a meal, sometimes by a mystery chef they never see.


What's so cool about this is that the food is gourmet - local, seasonal ingredients are prepared with creative interpretations and beautifully plated. Typical menus are prix fixe, and one meal is served, as would be the case at a dinner party in someone's home. This is not a restaurant experience, more of a "foodie" experience.


If you've ever been part of one of these supper clubs, I'd love to hear from you. I'd also be extremely interested in finding a supper club in Ohio or Connecticut. Do some digging to see if a supper club may be available in your area. It sounds like a fantastic way to meet new people, experience amazing cuisine, and step out of your dining out comfort zone.

(The photo above is courtesy of CNN's website)

No comments: