03 April 2009

April Goals

-Blog 1-2 times per week
-Eat more healthfully on weekends
-Go to yoga once a week
-Make homemade pasta

When I mentioned that I was planning to
make monthly resolutions rather than just one New Year's resolution, I was serious. I've been trying to set goals for myself each month and systematically check them off my list. I did really well in January, but I wasn't as committed to my goals in February and March due to my job transition. As my sixth week of my new job winds down, it's time to get back to my goals and try to focus on them.

So, as you can see, I have a list of four goals for myself.

1. Blog 1-2 times a week.
Blogging has been tough since I've been away from home - I'm not in my own kitchen, can't use my husband's camera, and I've actually been eating a lot less lately. That being said, this blog is something I do for me - a place I can chronicle my successes and failures as I get more ambitious in the kitchen. I don't want to let it fall by the wayside just because I've been busy, so it's back on the goals list for April.

2. Eat more healthfully on weekends
I have been doing so well at eating healthy during the week. I have a small but filling breakfast, eat lots of fruits and veggies, very little meat, and drink tons of water. I've cut back big time on white foods and alcohol, and I gave up alfredo for Lent. Really, you would think I'd be losing weight, but I've had a lot of stress throughout the job transition, and if there's one thing
The Biggest Loser has taught me, it's that stress can keep the pounds on. While I don't really need to lose weight, and the diet changes are purely due to my change in living circumstances, I definitely let my healthy eating fall by the wayside on the weekends - usually eating out every day, skipping breakfast, having dessert with every meal, and just generally being a pig. So, while my healthy eating goals aren't directed toward weight loss, they are definitely directed toward my own health, and I'm hoping I can curb some of my carb-bingeing tendencies!

3. Go to yoga once a week
Going to yoga once a week shouldn't be a problem. I love yoga, but had to stop going, and haven't been in a couple of months. So I'm really looking forward to getting going again - in fact, my first class is tomorrow morning!

4. Make homemade pasta
Last on the list is to finally make homemade pasta. I've been cooking with homemade pasta for years, but never attempted my own. I have some vague memories of standing on a kitchen chair and turning the crank on my grandma's pasta machine, but other than that, I've never actually made pasta myself. So I'm planning to give it a try. If you have recipe suggestions or favorite methods, please feel free to leave advice in the comments section of this post.

I'll try to keep you all posted on the progress of my goals - please feel free to share any monthly goals you've set for yourself. Sometimes, being held accountable for your goals makes it that much more likely that you'll complete them.

1 comment:

Andrus Purde said...

Hey, monthly resolutions are a great idea! I'm also one of these people that makes resolutions all year long, not just on New Year's day. So much so that I helped to co-found Pledgehammer, a site with a charitable touch that helps people keep such promises. If you think you might need a motivation boost with any of your resolutions, check it out.

In any case, good luck with your resolutions!