14 May 2009

+Raw Diet: Day 1+


Okay, so I promised to chronicle my adventures in raw food, and today was my semi-Day 1. Here's what I ate, and I'm sure you'll see why I say "semi" in front of "Day 1."

Breakfast - cubed cantaloupe
Morning Snack - ~1/4 c. dried fruit: cranberries, 2 prunes, 2 pcs. pineapple
Iced Coffee from Dunkin Donuts
Lunch - spinach salad with broccoli, edamame, green peas, shredded carrots, cucumbers, and walnuts with 1 tsp. EVOO, 1 tsp. vinegar (I don't like dressing, what can I say?)
Afternoon Snack - red grapes
Dinner - steamed spinach & garlic with EVOO, large red apple

I drank ~68 oz. of water today, so that's a little more than the recommended eight 8 oz. servings. Unfortunately, I flubbed with the iced coffee, but it was a gift from a friend, and I really wanted it. I'll do better, I promise. The zero tolerance caffeine policy is going to be a killer.

After Day 1, I feel good. I sort of expected to start off with a bang - on the first day of any new venture, you're always gung-ho and wanting it to work out fantastically. I was a little hungry, but I just drank a nice glass of water before bed and finished up my burpees. I packed my lunch for tomorrow and put it in the fridge. This is something I do anyway, but especially on a diet like this, planning is key to making sure I'm not left short of food while away from the house.

*********************************************************************************

Went to the grocery store tonight after a trip to Trader Joe's earlier in the week, and I have to say, the produce aisle is quiet at 8 pm. My mom and I stocked up - between tonight's trip and the TJ trip on Tuesday, we've got two huge bags of apples, a sack of oranges, 3 quarts of strawberries, 3 pints of blackberries, a pineapple, bananas, kiwis, Chinese cabbage, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red pepper, zucchini, bean sprouts, green leaf lettuce, carrots, edamame, dried chickpeas, kidney beans, packets of raw almonds and walnuts, flax oil, and a bottle of pomegranate acai juice. *whew* I've definitely got variety on my side!

Here's to tomorrow and another day of eating raw!

No comments: