21 January 2010

Restaurant Review: Aha Sushi

During our trip to Chicago, I had the opportunity to meet up with some friends of mine, Rachael and Kris, who just had a baby in December.  It was so fun to hang out with them, meet the baby, and of course, EAT!  They took me to Aha Sushi in Gurnee, Illinois.  The food was fantastic and the service was superb.

First up, the appetizers!  We shared two orders of "Canon Balls" - crab meat, scallions, and cream cheese, deep fried and drizzled with blackberry sauce.  Can I just say, I could have eaten both plates by myself - these are like little balls of heaven!



We also shared an order of the Chef's Special that day - Bulgogi Rolls. Slices of bulgogi (a Korean barbecued beef) wrapped sushi-style with veggies, rice, and nori.  Delicious!



I opted for my favorite - a spicy tuna roll - then asked the waiter for a recommendation on the second roll.  He suggested his favorite, the Gurnee roll, a combination of crab meat, tempura crunch, cucumber, masago, and special sauce.  I loved them both!  In the photo below, the Gurnee roll is on the left, the spicy tuna roll on the right.



Kris's parents were out to lunch with us, and his mom opted for the Chicago Roll - a combination of cooked shrimp, crab meat, avocado, masago, cucumber, tempura crunch, and special sauce, with a drizzle of unagi sauce. 



As a non-raw fish eater, Rachael chose the Beef Udon, which looked really good!  She had a ton leftover to take home with her.



Kris and his father both got the same thing - the Sushi & Sashimi Combo.  It was a beautiful array of food!



I didn't get a picture of our dessert, but if you go to Aha Sushi's website, you can see it in the slideshow on the main page.  Basically, it was ice cream wrapped in a shell of crushed rice.  The texture of the shell was really odd - Rachael and I were not big fans.  Everyone at the table got one, half of us chose mango, half got strawberry.  Kris's dad skipped dessert due to his ulterior motive - unchallenged baby-holding time!  Luckily, we went back to Rachael and Kris's house and I got to hold the baby for a while too.  What a cutie, huh?




All in all, we had a great experience at Aha Sushi and I would definitely eat there again anytime I get to visit Gurnee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This place is great!!!!! Glad the photos do it justice!