04 October 2009

Apple-Smothered French Toast


Earlier this week, I was complaining to my friend Heather that I was "soooo hungry", which is typically a twice-a-day conversation for Heather and I, and she suggested I make myself French toast. I couldn't remember the last time I had French toast, and it sounded SO good right then. I had been planning to eat an apple as a snack, to hold myself over until lunch, but the lure of French toast was too strong. I opted to incorporate the apple into my dish, it just ended up being a little less healthy than I had planned! Apple-Smothered French Toast is an indulgence that is worth every single calorie.


Apple-Smothered French Toast
makes 1 big serving

2 pcs. whole wheat bread
1 egg
cinnamon
nutmeg
splash of milk
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1 apple, peeled and cut into slices
1/2 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. brown sugar


Start by cracking an egg into a plate with a lip.



Add several shakes of cinnamon and a shake of nutmeg. Squirt a little maple syrup on too.



Scramble it all together, and add a splash of milk.



Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Dunk your bread into the egg mixture, then flip it over to coat the second side. Plop it into the pan.


Cook until French toast is nice and brown on both sides.



Now, for the smothering! You will want to do this before you cook the French toast so the apples have time to cook down. Take a pretty red apple - I used Gala. Peel, core, and cut it into slices.



Melt the butter in a small saucepan.



Add the apples and brown sugar, stir to coat, then let cook over medium heat. Stir occasionally.




As the apples soften and the sugar cooks down, the juice from the apples mixed with the brown sugar will create a syrup.

Doesn't that look good?


Once the apples are cooked to your preferred level of doneness, dump the whole pan over the French toast.


Serve to someone you are trying to make happy (it can be yourself!). This will do the trick!


No comments: