22 October 2009

Lemon Sorbet




After breaking in my ice cream maker with vanilla and vanilla-strawberry ice cream, as well as a fantastic go at cookies 'n' cream, I decided to try something different.  I was thinking something fruity, but different than the vanilla-strawberry.  I settled on lemon sorbet when all but one of the ten lemons Andrew bought at the farmer's market had been sitting there for a week untouched.

I used the recipe in the booklet that came with my ice cream maker.  The vanilla and cookies 'n' cream had come out so well that I trusted KitchenAid not to steer me wrong, and my faith was well founded.  The lemon sorbet is tart, yet sweet, light, and delicious. 


Lemon Sorbet

1-1/4 c. simple syrup
2 c. lemon juice

Yup, that's really it. 

To make the simple syrup, you want to use equal parts sugar and water.  The recipe in the booklet tells you to use 2 cups of each to yield 3 cups of simple syrup.  As you can see, this recipe only calls for 1-1/4 cups.  Don't worry, I did the math for you.  You'll need to use 1-2/3 cups each of sugar and water to make 1-1/4 cups simple syrup. 

Combine sugar and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, cook about 10 minutes. 




Transfer to an ice bath, stirring until well chilled.



I put the simple syrup in a medium sized measuring cup, then put that cup into a large measuring cup about one third full of ice water.




While the simple syrup is cooking, you'll want to prep your lemons.



I cut each lemon in half, then juiced them into a measuring cup.  When I had a little more than I needed, I got ready to strain the juice into a bowl.



This gave me the opportunity to get rid of all the pulp and seeds, leaving me with pure lemon juice.



I covered this bowl and the container of simple syrup and chilled the juice completely.

When I was ready to make the sorbet, I set up my ice cream maker and combined the lemon juice and simple syrup.



Now you just have to let it churn, baby, churn!  (I feel like I've made that pun before.  I apologize if I'm repeating my lame jokes.)

Action shot:



After ten minutes of churning on Speed 1, you will have beautiful lemon sorbet.  Before you freeze it, it will have a soft, homemade Italian ice consistency.  I love it at this stage!



I opted to freeze my sorbet in some smaller containers, to assist Andrew and I with portion control.



Sorbet is an easy option to use up leftover fruit, or to provide a (slightly) more healthful option to ice cream.  Though there's tons of sugar, it's fat free...so that has to count for something!

No comments: