18 September 2009

Creamed Corn

Last year, I printed out a recipe from cdkitchen, planning to make their Creamed Corn for Christmas Eve dinner. I ended up making so many other dishes that I didn't need another vegetable. I've held onto the recipe all year. Having never made a creamed vegetable, it was definitely something I wanted to try. After all, it does combine three of my favorite things - cream, cheese, and corn!



I don't know if you've ever used cdkitchen, but it can be difficult to navigate. Though they have an extensive recipe collection arranged by category, the search function...stinks. I can't even find the original Creamed Corn recipe I printed out last year, so I've opted to type up the recipe for you below.

I had two ears of corn left over from earlier in the week, and I wasn't sure whether that would be enough. The recipe that serves 9 calls for three 16-oz bags of frozen corn. I wanted to third the recipe (since it was just Andrew and I eating). I chopped the kernels off the cobs and measured - sure enough, I had 16 ounces there. It's amazing how much corn is on one cob. (This does make me rethink the number of ears I eat in a sitting though.)

All right, let's get to the recipe!



Creamed Corn
serves 9

3/4 c. butter
3 tbsp. AP flour
3 - 16 ounce packages frozen corn kernels
if using fresh, 6-8 ears ought to do it
1-1/2 pt. half-and-half
1-1/2 pt. heavy whipping cream
1-1/2 tsp. salt
2-1/4 tbsp. granulated sugar (I omitted this)
1-1/2 c. grated Romano cheese (I used a 5-cheese Italian blend)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour to make a roux. Allow this to cook for a moment to get rid of the raw flour taste, but try not to let it brown.




Add the corn, half-and-half, whipping cream, salt, and sugar if using. Stir and heat until mixture begins to thicken. I didn't want to smush the corn, so I left it in clumps - it broke up on its own in the heat of the cream.



Stir in the cheese. Yummy!



Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Honestly, if you don't have time to bake it, don't. There's no magic happening in the oven. If you were to turn the heat off and let the creamed corn stand on the stove uncovered for two minutes, I think the same thing would probably happen. (It would thicken!)

This, like that amazing zucchini I made recently, is another less healthy way to get your veggies. But this creamed corn would make a fantastic side dish at Thanksgiving, on your Sunday dinner table, or for any other special occasion. It's not something we'd eat often, but for our Saturday date night, served with fantastic steaks, carmelized onions, and roasted asparagus, Creamed Corn was a big hit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely going to keep this in mind at Thanksgiving!