15 September 2009

Strawberry-Peach Cobbler

This recipe came to me from my friend Leslie. She mentioned a Blueberry-Peach Cobbler that sounded so good, I had to have the recipe. I bought eight (!) peaches, and by the time I was finally ready to make the cobbler, I didn't have any blueberries. I did have strawberries, so I decided to make a go of it.


The cobbler came out delicious - the dough was soft and sweet, the fruit was tender, not mushy, and I served it with my homemade Strawberry-Vanilla Ice Cream.

Strawberry Peach Cobbler

1/2 c. butter (one stick)
1 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. milk

2 c. peaches, peeled and sliced
2 c. strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/2 c. brown sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place butter in baking dish and melt while oven preheats. (I used my 2.2 quart Pyrex)

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, 3/4 c. brown sugar, and milk. Stir gently to combine. Plop batter into pan on top of melted butter. Do NOT stir!

Add 1/2 c. brown sugar to fruit, stir gently to coat.


Pour fruit over batter.


Bake at 350 until batter rises and is golden brown. I timed this to be about 29 minutes - you may need more or less time depending on your oven, how juicy your fruit is, and how you prefer your cobbler.


This cobbler was absolutely fantastic. I had never made a dessert like this before, so I was pleased with the simplicity of the recipe and the delicious outcome. I'm glad I experimented with the strawberries - the color of the dessert was beautiful, and it really felt like one last summer fling - my two favorite summer fruits all in one dish. With brown sugar and butter! Amazing.

1 comment:

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

MMM this looks delicious! What a cool mix!