26 March 2010

Berry Pie


 As spring approaches, berries can be found at the market for decent prices, and boy have I been taking advantage!  Next week, I'll share my Blackberry Lime Sorbet, a delicious icy treat that is currently occupying space in my freezer.  For now, let me share with you my adorable Berry Pies, made all the more fun by baking them in ramekins instead of a large pie plate.  Of course, if you don't have ramekins or you'd prefer one large pie, this recipe will translate perfectly. 

This was a complete experiment - I made up the recipe as I went along, and it turned out great!  



Berry Pie
makes 1 large pie or 8 ramekin pies

2-1/2 c. strawberries
2-1/2 c. blackberries 
scant 1/2 c. sugar 
1-1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. flour
1 tbsp. lemon juice
zest 1 lemon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 pie crust, store-bought or homemade


As I've said before, I don't believe in bottom crusts for a lot of pies.  If you want to make this as one large pie, a bottom crust would work, but in ramekins, I wouldn't recommend it. 



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Wash the berries.  Remove the tops of the strawberries and cut into quarters (you may have to cut them further if they are particularly large).  Slice large blackberries in half, leave smaller ones whole.

In a large bowl, toss the berries with the flour.  Add the sugar, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and zest, and salt, and stir to combine.  Portion into ramekins (or dump into your pie plate).  I used a fluted biscuit cutter to cut out and shape the tops, then slit a star shape into each one before pressing onto the ramekins.  Sprinkle each pie with raw turbinado sugar. 



Store pie(s) in refrigerator until ready to bake.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-20 minutes, just until tops brown.



1 comment:

Catherine said...

Wow Amy these look absolutely scrumptious! I'm saving this recipe and will try it soon!