04 March 2010

Herb Roasted Turkey Breast

 

I had never made a roasted turkey breast before.  Sure, I've cooked plenty of whole turkeys and chickens, but I'd never had the desire to make a turkey breast.  That changed when I saw them on a BOGO sale at my local grocery store, and $18 later, I was the proud owner of two gigantic turkey breasts.  I promptly stuck them in my chest freezer and told myself I'd make one "next weekend".  

Three weeks later, I finally defrosted one and made it for Sunday dinner.  I used Ina's recipe as a guide for temperature and timing.  The leftovers from one turkey breast were easily enough to make a turkey pot pie plus a pot of turkey soup, with extra for Andrew's lunches. 


Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
adapted from Ina Garten

1 whole bone-in turkey breast (mine was about 8 pounds)
4 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/3 c. fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried sage
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 c. white wine


Preheat the oven to 325.  Place the turkey breast skin side up on a rack over a roasting pan (see photo).  Combine everything but the wine in a small bowl.  Use your fingers to loosed the skin from the meat, then spread about half of the mixture under the skin.  Dump the cup of wine into the bottom of the roasting pan and stick it in the oven.

Roast for about 2 hours - Ina says the internal temp should be 165 degrees.  Remove from the oven and tent with foil.  Allow to rest for 15-20 minutes.


 

I make a simple gravy by pouring a little water over the contents of the bottom of the roasting pan, then using a whisk to loosen it up.  Simmer a few minutes, then pour through a strainer.  Return to the pan and thicken with cornstarch or flour, whisking vigorously, until the gravy is the consistency you desire.  Serve with the turkey (and hopefully some mashies!) and everyone will be happy.

No comments: