19 January 2009

Apple Crumble




It was my new co-worker's birthday on Saturday, and I wanted to make something sweet to celebrate his special day.

I found a great Apple Crumble recipe that used the ingredients I had on hand by googling "apple crumble with oats". FamilyFun magazine has a good recipe that's super simple. The ingredients and method I listed below are my version of FamilyFun's recipe.

Apple Crumble
adapted from FamilyFun magazine

5 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 c. rolled oats
6 tbsp. butter
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3 tbsp. orange juice



Stir together all items except apples and orange juice. Divide apples between twelve ramekins and top with oat mixture. Sprinkle 1/4 tbsp. orange juice over each ramekin. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until apples are cooked and topping is toasted.

I put the ramekins on a cookie sheet to make it easy to move them in and out of the oven. Everyone liked the individual desserts, and they were so much easier to serve at work.



Next time I make these, I would do another apple so that each ramekin had half an apple in it. I would also make a homemade caramel sauce to drizzle over the top. Andrew and I brought two of the leftover crumbles home with us and ate them after dinner. They were really yummy topped with French vanilla ice cream!

Baking in ramekins was a really neat idea, and I'm glad I tried it. There are so many more desserts I want to try this way. Pear and cranberry would be a great one to try next time!

No comments: