29 January 2009

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

I got a fab recipe for a slow cooked pot roast from my friend Laura. The recipe has gotten rave reviews from everyone who makes it.

I doubled the recipe so it would serve three plus leftovers. When we got home, the house was filled with the smell of the roast. The recipe listed below represents exactly what I did, including doubled ingredients. For the original, 2 lb. roast recipe, simply halve all ingredients.

To Die For Crock Pot Roast

4 lb. roast, any kind
2 packets brown gravy mix
2 packets ranch dressing mix
1 packet Italian dressing mix
1/2 c. white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
1/2 c. water
5 carrots, peeled and quartered




Mix together all packets in a small bowl. Poke the roast all over and rub packet mix all over it.
Put carrots and liquid in bottom of crock pot and place roast on top. Cook on low 8 hours.


Laura's recipe indicated to cook the roast on high 4-5 hours. I opted to cook on low for 8, since I was at work and wouldn't be there to turn the crock down. My slow cooker has an automatic warming function, so after the 8 hours were up, the roast sat in the warm pot for another 2 hours. Laura's recipe includes quartered red potatoes in the crock, but I opted to make homemade mashed potatoes instead.



The meat was falling apart - juicy, flavorful, and so delicious. It is pretty tough to photograph meat - I'm not posting the pictures I took of the sliced meat, because it looks gross, belying it's deliciousness. Andrew doesn't usually eat carrots, regardless of how I cook them, but he told me he loved these, and even reheated some when he ate the leftovers. I'll definitely make this again - and you should try it too.

No comments: