05 January 2009

Cheeseburgers with Sweet Potato Fries



Dinner tonight was simple, but it was still really good.

I had hamburger patties in the freezer that I bought from the Schwan's truck a while ago that really needed to be used. We haven't had good ol' ground beef in a while, and it's been ages since we made hamburgers, so it seemed like a great idea.



Andrew loved the Cajun burgers at the restaurant I worked at. They just closed last week, so I thought I'd put together something similar for him. I cooked the burgers on my Griddler. I haven't figured out how to change the grill plates yet, so I'm going to have to read up on the website. Luckily, they were correct for grilling, so I didn't have to worry about it tonight!




Back to the Cajun burger...I had leftover sauteed onions in the fridge, so I heated those in the microwave once my burgers were cooked and topped with cheese. I piled the onions on top, then added hot sauce. The only thing missing is the homemade Chipotle barbeque sauce they used to make at The Grill (the restaurant I mentioned).

I toasted the buns face down in the toaster oven. They got great "grill marks" and looked really cute.


I served dinner with a side of sweet potato fries. I love them salted and topped with honey. Andrew likes them plain, so I just lightly salt them before baking, then pile the salt onto my own once they're on my plate. I drizzled honey over the top, and they tasted like such a treat!




Sweet Potato Fries

2 sweet potatoes, peeled
olive oil
fresh ground salt & pepper
honey (optional)

Chop the sweet potatoes into "fry-like" shapes - wedges would be good too, but I wanted these to cook quickly, so I made them small.

Spread potatoes out on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes.



I can never wait long enough for my fries to get crispy, and always end up pulling them out as soon as they're cooked. Oh well, one of these days I'll exercise some willpower and Andrew will get crispy fries!


I attempted to be good - no roll on my burger, a side of roasted brussels sprouts, and two pickles on the side. Granted, the hunk of homemade bread and butter I ate before I made dinner isn't pictured here, but nobody's perfect, right?

No comments: