04 January 2009

Buffalo Chicken Soup

I have been wanting to try something "Buffalo" for a while now, because Andrew loves spicy food, especially wings. My Crock Pot experimentation has gone well so far, so when I read about a Buffalo Chicken Soup recipe for a slow cooker, I was pretty stoked.

If you click the title of this post, it will take you to the recipe on "A Year of CrockPotting" - a great blog dedicated to using this handy appliance every day for a year.

I found this soup really good. I like a little kick, but I don't like food that hurts, and this soup was satisfying and spicy without being painful.

My modifications:

-The recipe calls for Velveeta, which Andrew is not a fan of. I swapped it out for shredded cheddar, and it was fantastic. I'm sure all the yummy chemicals in Velveeta would have made this soup super smooth, but hubby nixed the idea, and I couldn't see buying all that fake orange cheese for this one recipe.

- I thought the 3/4 cup of chicken broth wasn't quite enough, so once the soup was done cooking, I added another 3/4 cup. It lightened the soup up a bit and thinned it out enough to make it more soup-y and less stew-y. I guess that's all about how you like your soup!

All in all, we thought this recipe was a success. It was filling and hearty, yet not super rich or fatty. Packed with veggies and white meat chicken, with a broth of skim milk and chicken stock, this soup isn't bad for you either! I will definitely make this again.

No comments: